I helped my girlfriend's sister to configure the university's VPN on her Ubuntu notebook a few weeks ago. The available documents simply… . Only two PDFs are containing some hints. Additionally, the IT guys can't help you.1)
However… it worked after all. If someone has the same problem, here are a my hints to get the University Freiburg VPN connection established:
- Install VPNC:2)
sudo apt-get install network-manager-vpnc
Please restart your network or reboot after installation, otherwise it may not work.
- “Username” is your RZ account username.
- “Password” is your RAS password ( NOT your common RZ account password).
- Fill out the gateway3) and groupname + grouppassword:
- if you are using the campus network (WLAN/red LAN boxes):
- if you want to connect via internet:
Now you should be able to establish/close the connection by a simple click on the VPN profile using the network manager applet (look at the first screenshot, there you can see the profile “VPN Uni Freiburg Home” I created before writing this post). Hope that helps